Useful Rules For Editing A Research Paper About Victorian Life
Editing a research paper is one of the most useful exercises you will ever engage in. It gives you a chance to eliminate all the errors that are likely to distort your arguments and thus lower the quality of your paper. There are several elements you need to consider when editing. Here are some of the main important ones.
- Consider the structure – the general structure is a perfect starting point. Without the right overall structure, the overall quality of your paper is compromised. The general structure for a paper is the introduction, body and conclusion. Some of the elements expected at the introduction include the thesis statement, a summary in the form of an abstract and above all a good title. The body should capture such sections as a strong literature review, data presentation, analysis, methodology, result presentation, discussion, etc. Other sections may be suggested by your supervisor depending on your topic. Your paper should also capture a compelling conclusion. It should come with recommendations and even a mention of limitations or challenges encountered. Remember to include the reference page and other appendences that may be demanded by your supervisor.
- Sentence structure – complex and long sentences are difficult to read. In fact, a research paper editor will tell you that these sentences easily lose meaning. Review your paper and prune the sentences to make them sensible. Keep the number of segments or clauses to a maximum of two to three. Tighten the words up and eliminate any that do not alter the meaning or veracity of a sentence once removed.
- Check your language – we understand that you are a language guru but do not allow this to come in between your expression and the reader understanding your idea. Replace the complicated words with simple ones and their synonyms. Aim to end up with a very clear and concise paper that passes the message to a layman. However, there are technical terms that must be used to give meaning to your discussion. Use them to keep your paper as professional as possible.
- Is there repetition? – The most common repetition in academic writing is that of words and ideas. You may have grown fond of a word or lacked an appropriate synonym. This leads to the temptation to repeat one word over and over. This temptation must be avoided. Connecting words are also easily and commonly repeated. When editing ideas, ensure that your presentation is very tight. It must capture all the points you intended to put across. If any idea is repeated, find a way of weeding it out.
- Spell check will mess you – any professional editor will confirm that a person is better than a machine any day. There are numerous research paper editor free software you can use. They are useful in highlighting erroneous areas but their degree of accuracy is limited. A human editor will always thoroughly scrutinize the work and make realistic corrections. You will need time as well as resources to hire a professional.
- Punctuation – this is a common ground for error. Commas, colons, question marks, etc assign meaning to sentences. They must be placed in the right places. Failure to do so results in distorted meanings and confusion. Ensure that his is adhered to by editing the work before submission.
The other areas that need your attention through editing include consistency in spelling, ellipses and exclamation marks, and quotations. Your formatting should also be streamlined to make it consistent. A professional editor will raise the quality of your paper a great deal.